Low Income Housing Authority Low Income Housing News, Programs, Government Agencies, and More!

Home About Us

Find/ Apply For Housing

News/ Blog Help/ Resources FAQs

3 Ways To Help Grandma and Grandpa Qualify For Low Income HUD Senior Housing

Black grandparent with granddaughter

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, otherwise known as HUD, was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, including the elderly. The program for the elderly is called Section 202 Supporting Housing for the Elderly Program. The program subsidizes rent for the elderly so they only need to pay 30 percent of their income for rent.

What exactly is a low income senior citizen?

The definition of a senior citizen is someone who is 62 years old or older. To qualify for HUD senior housing, at least one member of the family must meet this guideline. The other guideline is income level. Although the amount varies from one area to the next, the guideline is that income must not exceed 50 percent of the area's median income. Very low income senior citizens of San Francisco, for example, must have an annual income of $37,650 in a one-person household and $53,750 in a three person household.

Help your grandparents with these 3 steps for qualification:
  1. Contact their local Housing Authority for specific programs and information on income limits in their area.
  2. Be prepared with information on their current address, the names, sex and date of birth of all the people living with them, and estimated income.
  3. Get reference letters from their previous landlords.

Where to apply

Applicants must apply through a local HUD field office. There are offices in every state around the country. To locate the one nearest you, go to http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/field_policy_mgt/localoffices and click on your state to view contact information for the regional office closest to you.

Funding and Grants For Women and Families: