Low Income Housing Authority Low Income Housing News, Programs, Government Agencies, and More!

Home About Us

Find/ Apply For Housing

News/ Blog Help/ Resources FAQs

How To Collect Child Support From A Non-Custodial Parent

Child support is monies due to the custodial parent to help provide materials needs (clothing, food, shelter, etc) to the child. Typically, chid support payments are to be made each month by the non-custodial parent. If this does not happen, the custodial parent has the right to take legal action.

While the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has a Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement, each state has local offices that handle individual cases. To file for child support, you must go through your local Office of Child Support Enforcement.

A court order must be filed in order to begin the process of collecting child support. Your local agency can help you through the process to ensure that you complete the proper paperwork. In addition, they can help you file the proper paperwork, and even guide you through the process of retaining legal counsel if needed. In many instances the agency can represent you in your case or you can represent yourself. Legal counsel is often recommended if the case becomes difficult or there are extenuating circumstances.

If you are currently receiving Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), there is no fee involved in filing for child support. If you are not currently receiving benefits, there may be some sort of fee involved. If there are other circumstances such as establishing paternity, location the non custodial parent, your local agency can help and provide direction on how to proceed.

Each state has guidelines to determine how much a non custodial parent must pay in child support. Once a court order has been filed and a decision has been rendered, it is important for you to stay on top of support payments and keep good records. There are several methods of collecting child support payment, the most common being income withholding.